Its countryside estate features a wide range of facilities, including a working farm, an equine centre, science laboratories, design studios, a canine therapy clinic, a specialist animal unit and sports provision including the UK’s first permanent 3×3 basketball courts.
Established in 1893, the college was originally known as County Laboratories, teaching agriculture and horticulture and becoming the County Technical Laboratories in 1903.
In 1912 it became East Anglian Institute of Agriculture. It changed its name to Essex Institute of Agriculture, Writtle in 1939 and moved to the Writtle Estate in 1940.
In 1914, teaching temporarily halted following the outbreak of the First World War. ‘Writtle College, The First Hundred Years’ by Clive Beale and Geoff Owen, states that some staff left to join the armed forces while others were seconded to the War Agricultural Committee, which had taken over the institute.
During the Second World War, the Institute supported the Dig For Victory Campaign with advice on crop production, gardening, plant protection and livestock. The campus was also central to work carried out by the Women’s Land Army in Essex and taught short, three week training courses.
It became Writtle Agricultural College in 1969, Writtle College in 1989 and Writtle University College in 2016.