The university is a Class A Double First Class University. It is under the direct leadership of China’s Central Military Commission, and the dual management of the Ministry of National Defense and the Ministry of Education. It is designated for Double First Class University Plan, former Project 211 and Project 985, three national plans facilitating the development of Chinese higher education. NUDT was instrumental in the development of the Tianhe-2 supercomputer. In 2015, the United States Department of Commerce added NUDT to the Bureau of Industry and Security‘s Entity List.
The university consists of 11 colleges administering over 40 departments, institutes and laboratories, four national key laboratories and one key laboratory at the Ministry of Education level.
The 11 colleges of the university include:
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- College of Systems Engineering
- College of Computer Science and Technology
- College of Electronic Engineering
- College of Electronic Science and Technology
- College of Meteorology and Oceanography
- College of Advanced Interdisciplinary Studies
- College of Information and Communication
- College of Intelligence Science and Technology
- College of Aerospace Science and Engineering
- College of International Studies