China Agricultural University (CAU, Chinese: 中国农业大学; pinyin: Zhōngguó Nóngyè Dàxué; abbreviated 农大/Nóngdà) is a public research university in Beijing, People’s Republic of China specializing in agriculture, biology, engineering, veterinary medicine, economics, management, humanities and social science. It was formed in 1995 through the merger of the Beijing Agricultural University and the Beijing Agricultural Engineering University, which evolved from one of the earliest agriculture institutions in China founded in 1905 (京师大学堂).
As of December 2019, CAU offers 66 undergraduate majors and over 32 masters and 21 doctoral programs. There are around 12,000 undergraduate and 8,900 graduate students. Among them, 508 students are international. Its gymnasium hosted the wrestling events during the 2008 Summer Olympics.
CAU is a Chinese Ministry of Education Class A Double First Class University,and is designated as part of both Project 985, to create world class universities in China, and Project 211, to raise the research standards of universities.
The China Agricultural University is widely regarded as one of the world’s top agricultural research institutions. As of 2021, the “Agricultural Science” program is ranked 2nd worldwide by the Shanghai Ranking and the U.S. News Rankings.
Faculties and Colleges
- College of Agronomy
- College of Horticulture
- College of Plant Protection
- College of Biological Sciences
- College of Animal Science and Technology
- College of Veterinary Medicine
- College of Food Science and Nutritional Engineering
- College of Resources and Environmental Sciences
- College of Information and Electrical Engineering
- College of Engineering
- College of Water Conservancy and Civil Engineering
- College of Science
- College of Economics and Management
- College of Humanities and Development
- International College at Beijing
- School of Continuing Education
- Department of Arts Education and Physical Education
- Department of Ideological Education
- Yantai Academy of China Agricultural University (Yantai Campus)
- Beijing Construction University